Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Is it safe to be a nail tech while pregnant?

My sister in law is 6 months pregnant and was just hired as a nail tech. She has worked as one before she was pregnant for a long time.





Is it safe to be a nail tech while pregnant? Explain why either way? If you can prove it with a link, that is even better.Is it safe to be a nail tech while pregnant?
I get my nails done at a place that is run by this little asian girl who just gave birth to her first child. She worked in her salon the entire time she was pregnant. When I asked her if it was safe she said ';yes, but only as long as I wear my mask.'; This was told to her by her doctor. I also asked my doctor if it was safe to get my nails done and he told me as long as I wore a mask to avoid inhaling the chemicals or powder.





As long as your sister in law is willing to wear a mask she should be fine. The thing that I've noticed though is that many non-asian nail techs don't wear masks. It may just be my area, but honestly I've only seen them in the asian salons. My guess is a vanity issue, but I'm sure that if the baby's health is important and she loves her job that this should be no problem. Also tell her to make sure to take frequent ';fresh air'; breaks. This should honestly be common practice among any nail tech, but esp for a pregnant one. Wish her luck and congrats!Is it safe to be a nail tech while pregnant?
I believe it's highly dangerous to the fetus to inhale acetone.


That's the solvent used in older nail polish %26amp; remover/cleaner.
';Nail polish contains a number of hazardous chemicals. Although occasional use is unlikely to affect a developing fetus, heavy exposure to nail polish has been linked to an increased risk of early pregnancy loss among cosmetologists.';(from yahoo.com)


.....i think the varying answers are due to the fact that the consequences of working in a nail salon vary from person to person--in other words, does it present a risk? Yes, potentially, but not necessarily-there are lots of nail salons, but children cannot be replaced-why risk it??
i wouldn't. Everytime i walk into a nail salon, i get a headache from all of the horrible fumes. Just imagine what all of those harmful chemicals could do to the unborn baby. Smoking is not good for you or the baby, neither is the chemicals from the nail stuff.
there are too many chemicals in nail polish or nail salons for you to work or go there while pregnant its better not to risk it


after all you want to have a happy healthy baby





P.S. look up the chemicals in a cigarette and nail polish if you want a link!
i get my nails done and was worried about it when i was pregnant and m doctor told me not to worry about the fumes if i was only there for like an hour, but working there all day doesnt sound to safe with all the fumes
i have worked as a nail tech through out all 4 of my pregnancies, my kids are perfectly fine. although i didnt work around acrylic or any type of chemicals as i only did natural nails. she should be fine to do artificial nails as long as she wears some type of a mask while doing the nails. also as long as she is using professional product and not the cheap stuff found in a lot of the corner shops, which is called MMA. she should be fine. she may want to stay away from anything with framaldihyde (sp?) a product that i know does have framaldihyde is creative. but other professional products such as opi are fine. hope that helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment