Saturday, August 21, 2010

Can I round my kitten's nail after trimming it?

I am about to trim my kitten's nails for the first time. I've read a bunch of sites on doing it (trimming the nail, and not the quick). My question is, I would like to make them as dull as possible as to not damage my furniture. Will simply one quick snip do the trick? Or will it still be a bit sharp (edges?)? Or can I try to trim out the edges making it less sharp?Can I round my kitten's nail after trimming it?
Most cats do not like their nails trimmed. So, the best thing to do is 'to do it quickly', taking off the tips. You can feel where the nail starts to thicken a bit, so don't cut down past this point. By this time, I don't believe your kitten will stand still for having its nails filed. You normally don't have rough, sharp edges if you snip qickly. Even though their nails are trimmed, they can still do much damage to your furniture. If you are not against having them declawed, I'd certainly have it done. Some people think it's cruel, but they jump right back in a day, and don't suffer any pain that I can see. Then, there is a new product called 'softpaws' that glue right on to the kitties nails, but have to be done about every 4-6 weeks.Can I round my kitten's nail after trimming it?
I've had many cats for years. As long as i keep several 'cat-scratch' posts, etc. I've never had any problem with the cats bothering my furniture. The posts and cat trees are even more attractive if you rub catnip on/in them. I never clip their nails. you may have to encourage a kitten to start using his own special scratching place, but he'll catch on fast.
Unless you have an extremely mellow, laidback cat, just do one snip per claw. Most cats don't enjoy having their toes played with, and a kitten is going to be particularly wiggly and freaked if it's her first time. Don't traumatize her, just make it as quick and painless as possible.
try this website http://www.spuk.com/ the aren't permanent and they stop your cat from destroying your furniture
It's good that you are starting this early, and I wish you luck. Cats don't take well to having their nails trimmed. Help would be good and wrap your kitty in a towel before you start, with only one paw sticking out if you can manage that. I can't see why you couldn't use a Emory board to smooth them, if she'll stand for it. The edges will still be pretty sharp, but won't be needles like they are now. You need to get your kitty a scratching post of some kind. Make sure you use a clipper that is specifically for cat nails.
I don't think your cat will like that, like others said just trim them and be quick but gentle, since your cat is still young try to do it as often as possible maybe once a month, just check to make sure they have grown back enough to trim.





and since the cat is young I'd get her used to showering but you don't really need to that often either I rarely shower my two cats... BE GENTLE lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment